Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Smile as Big as the Moon

I am still in tears as I sit here and type this post.  I just finished watching "A Smile as Big as the Moon" from Hallmark this evening.  I had no idea it was coming on, just happened to hear it come on after "Once Upon a Time" (an ABC show that I never miss every Sunday night) and it peaked my curiosity when I heard John Corbett (who played Mike Kersjes in the movie) talking about his special needs students – including children with ADHD, like my own son, J.

So I sat and watched sporadically the first half hour, dividing my attention between the computer and the television.  Then I moved to the living room and turned the computer off and gave the movie my full attention.

It was amazing.  It was inspiring.  It was ... unbelievable.  This movie, this one movie, gave me hope that as long as there is one person – even if that person is the ONLY person – as long as there is just one who BELIEVES in these kids, who fights for them, who encourages them, who supports them, who guides them – there is absolutely nothing in this world they cannot do.

Watch the trailer.  Read the book by Mike Kersjes with Joe Layden, and check your local listings because it will be airing again next week.  For those of you in the metro Richmond area, Comcast will be airing the movie again on Saturday, February 4th at 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. and again on Sunday, February 5th at 2:00 p.m.

If you are the parent of a special needs child, from Tourette Syndrome to Autism and everything in between – watch this movie.  You won't be sorry.  Your children are amazing.  My child is amazing.  And this movie will help you remember just how amazing and wonderfully talented and special they are.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment!